The Millennium Time Line
Millennium bugs do not have a single trigger date on which they will
cause havoc. There are a number of dates when they can appear:
- July 1, 1999. Fiscal year 2000 begins in 46 US states.
- September 1, 1999. Fiscal year 2000 begins in the state of
- September 9, 1999. The representation of 9/9/99 is a default
'nonsense' date in some programs.
- October 1999. Three-month projections may fail.
- October 1, 1999. Fiscal year 2000 starts in the states of
Alabama and Michigan.
- October 1, 1999. Fiscal year 2000 starts for the US federal
- October 3, 1999. 90-day projections may fail.
- December 1999. One-month projections may fail.
- December 2, 1999. 30-day projections may fail.
- December 31, 1999. IBM tapes marked 99365 (sometimes used as a
'never expires' indicator) may expire.
- January 1, 2000. Black Saturday. Many, many failures.
- January 3, 2000. First business day of the year 2000 in US.
- January 4, 2000. First business day of the year 2000 in the UK.
- February 29, 2000. Software packages may not think this date
exists. Some DEC PDP-11 minicomputers may not boot after this